Re: Source Code Control

  • manaster@pobox.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      Brad writes:
      > > but CVS seems to be pretty standard,
      > > and if this is the cream of the crop
      >
      >Don't worry - it's not. Its 'standard' to the extent that its free,
      >its well known, and does the basics. There are a lot of folks that
      >have done a lot of add-ons and such to vastly improve the usability.

      And Paul adds:
      >My suggestion would be to keep an open mind and keep trying
      >different tools and version control products. You may hit a
      >combination that you like!

      Thanks, guys. I'm trying to keep an open mind.

      Paul:
      >Are you using it via the command line or via a GUI?

      WinCVS (GUI) and a web interface (I don't know if it's got a name)
      for more-convenient browsing. I am no fan of the command line.

      Brad again:
      >The Agile focus will help customers start to demand more agility
      >from their VC tools and the successful vendors and opensource
      >projects will listen, so we can better attain that "frictionless"
      >software development environment that Grady once envisioned :)

      I'll keep my fingers crossed.

      Thanks,
      --Carl
      --
    • manaster@pobox.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
        Bill asks:
        >Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?

        It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
        not-quite-current version of WinCVS.

        Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that they're
        binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does anyways. You
        don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and won't
        let you check in without "resolving" the conflict. It gives messages
        in a variety of colors, which evidently have some meaning, but not
        for me (and yes, I have RTFM). You refresh the display to see if
        anything's new, it says nothing is, then when you try to commit your
        changes it says that there are conflicts. The conflict marks that it
        inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
        must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad instead.
        That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

        >I guess that your issues seem to be with CVS (and at work
        >Windows/WinCVS more than CVS) rather than SCC and I doubt VSS would
        >simplify your life in that regard. The main other people seem to
        >use is Clearcase, which I don’t know anything about.
        >
        >Forgoing SCC is madness I say, madness...

        I'm not agin SCC in principle, but the practice as I have seen it
        leaves so much to be desired that I'm comfortable with this
        particular form of madness.

        Cheers,
        --Carl
        --
      • J. B. Rainsberger
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
          > From: manaster@...
          >Subject: Re: Source Code Control
          >
          >Bill asks:
          >>Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?
          >
          >It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
          >not-quite-current version of WinCVS.

          Yikes! Command line, my friend; command line!

          >Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that they're
          >binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does anyways.

          cvs add -kb binaryFile.gif

          > You
          >don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and won't
          >let you check in without "resolving" the conflict.

          Don't include any $variables$ in your source. Everyone should use the
          same code formatting. Everyone should either use all spaces or all
          tabs, but not a mix. (They should all do that, anyway.)

          >The conflict marks that it
          >inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
          >must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad instead.

          Hm. That's VB's fault, sorry. With jEdit and the code formatter, I get
          parsing errors before I even try to compile if any Java source has an
          unresolved conflict. I like it.

          >That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

          Sounds like the combo of VB and CVS is the problem, and not necessarily
          either one on its own.

          >I'm not agin SCC in principle, but the practice as I have seen it
          >leaves so much to be desired that I'm comfortable with this
          >particular form of madness.

          If you're working on Windows, you could try CSRCS at
          http://www.componentsoftware.com It's great for one-person use; I've
          never used it in a networked environment, though. Integrated into
          Windows Explorer. Neat.

          J. B. Rainsberger,
          President, Diaspar Software Services
          Let's write software that people understand.
          http://www.diasparsoftware.com/
          telephone: +1 416 791-8603
        • Bill de hÓra

            Upgrade to 1.3.

            > Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that
            > they're binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does
            > anyways.

            You can add files as either binary or text. As you say, RTFM,
            actually go one better and read Karl Fogel's CVS book. It's
            available online (minus the open source philosophy).

            > You
            > don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and
            > won't let you check in without "resolving" the conflict.

            CVS is being your friend, you /really/ don't want to check in if
            you have conflicts; fix the problem locally. If you haven't made
            local changes, I suspect that's a tab/spaces thing or eol guffness
            between linux and windows or you simply don't have the most recent
            revision from the repository. Try doing an right click update on
            the file, that usually fixes things.

            >It gives messages
            > in a variety of colors, which evidently have some meaning, but
            > not for me (and yes, I have RTFM).

            Ignore the colors, they're a distraction. The uppercase letter at
            the beginning of each line are what matters, a CVS reference like
            Fogel's will explain what they mean. Alternatively, badger whoever
            admins the repository for a tutorial, failing that find the nearest
            UNIX or Open Source gearhead, they usually know their way around
            CVS.

            > You refresh the display to see if
            > anything's new, it says nothing is, then when you try to commit
            > your changes it says that there are conflicts.

            F5 refresh is local. Before you try to commit you should query
            update (F4) to see if you're in sync with the repository; /always/
            update before committing.

            > The conflict marks that it
            > inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
            > must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad
            > instead. That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

            I can't say anything about what or why VB won't display your files
            as plaintext, but notepad will. I guess that's a VB editor feature;
            perhaps there's some way to tell it to stfu.

            Bill de hÓra