Re: [XP] Re: Source Code Control [was something else]

  • Paul Michali
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2002
      manaster@... wrote:

      > At work (a new job) we are using CVS on Windows, served from Linux.
      > And I never know when it's going to screw up my sources, or what to
      > do about it when it does. It's slow. I can't trust the directory
      > display. Something like half the time when I download a new project,
      > I wind up putting it into the wrong directory. More often than not,
      > when things get a little weird, I just throw out my sources and
      > reload from the repository. And recreate any changes I've made since
      > the last synch. Yeah, it gets me synchronizing more frequently, but
      > it's hard to see that as a feature.

      Are you using it via the command line or via a GUI? For personal
      projects, I've used a mix of things from copying the directory to
      zipping the directory occasionally, to using RCS/CVS. I like RCS/CVS
      for anything I want to keep for these reasons:

      - It allows me to share the files from home and work, without
      copying to floppy or D/Ling across the net.

      - It provides a quick way to undo my work.

      - It provides a way for me to document "why" I made specific
      changes (great when working on things intermittently).

      I've had a few times when I made changes and forgot to create
      a zip file prior and then had to restore the code from memory
      to back out my changes. It doesn't happen much, but once is
      sometimes too much!

      My suggestion would be to keep an open mind and keep trying
      different tools and version control products. You may hit a
      combination that you like! Personally, I like WinCVS and I
      like using Emacs with RCS. The former, because the GUI is
      easy to use and the latter because Emac's version control
      interface is the same for RCS and ClearCase.

      PCM (Paul Michali) @ HOME

      Internet Systems Business Unit (ISBU)
      Cisco Systems, Inc.
      250 Apollo Drive
      Chelmsford, MA 01824

      Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 75817 (978) 497-5817 [direct]
      Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm@... [email page]
    • Bill de hÓra

        I use CVS for almost everything at home, even binary things like MS
        office documents and image files... the only thing that could shift
        me off is either an OS that had version management baked in (yeah
        right, but why the hell don't they?) or really good WebDAV tools.

        > At work (a new job) we are using CVS on Windows, served from
        > Linux. And I never know when it's going to screw up my sources,
        > or what to do about it when it does. It's slow. I can't trust
        > the directory display. Something like half the time when I
        > download a new project, I wind up putting it into the wrong
        > directory. More often than not, when things get a little weird,
        > I just throw out my sources and reload from the repository. And
        > recreate any changes I've made since the last synch. Yeah, it
        > gets me synchronizing more frequently, but it's hard to see that
        > as a feature.

        I don't seem to have any of these problems, maybe I'm acclimatized.
        Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?

        > Maybe it's just the systems I've seen - maybe there is good SCC
        > software out there - but CVS seems to be pretty standard, and if
        > this is the cream of the crop, well, there are a lot of
        > arguments against it. I probably would not undertake a
        > multiprogrammer project without SCC, but I deplore the need for
        > it, and earnestly wish the tools were much, much better.

        Really you don't want a SCC client anymore than you a want a
        spellchecker client, you want a hotkey into your IDE or a build
        target. I can't see any decent IDE having a beef with integrating
        SCC. In a good programming environment SCC is a service not an
        application.

        > I think the practice might be better received by the great
        > unwashed masses of programmers if the SCC software were much
        > better. I think there's an immense amount of room for
        > improvement. My own experience suggests that the benefits of
        > the practice are overstated and the downside is played down or
        > unspoken.

        I guess that your issues seem to be with CVS (and at work
        Windows/WinCVS more than CVS) rather than SCC and I doubt VSS would
        simplify your life in that regard. The main other people seem to
        use is Clearcase, which I don’t know anything about.

        Forgoing SCC is madness I say, madness...

        > I'm not trying to be contrary, but I do try to avoid MeToo posts,
        > so I probably seem contrary, mostly. I do hope with this post
        > to have helped to explain why SCC is not a more widespread
        > practice and to have suggested changes that might make it so.

        Maybe Subversion will ship a 1.0 someday...

        Bill de hÓra

      • Art Taylor
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2002
          Bill de hÓra (dehora@...) wrote:
          > the only thing that could shift
          > me off is either an OS that had version management baked in (yeah
          > right, but why the hell don't they?) or really good WebDAV tools.

          VMS?

          I have no idea why more/modern OSes don't have this feature. I swear
          about the lack thereof at least three times a week.

          It looks as if SnapFS on Linux
          (http://old.lwn.net/2001/0308/kernel.php3) may be working down a
          similar, very lovely looking, path.

          -a.