RE: [XP] Architecture

  • Charlie Poole
    Message 1 of 221 , May 1, 2002
      Laurent, responding to Glen, happened to quote me:

      > > I'm exactly clear on why architecture is associated with
      > disentrenchment?
      >
      > Simply because entrenchment masquerading as "architecture" is all too
      > often a harbinger of project failure. (Charlie's "war story" about
      > i18n is relevant.)

      Except that my story is an example of entrenchment in a decision about
      the details of how coding is done. I accept that "entrenched decisions"
      often occur in an architectural context but architecture has no monopoly
      on them. For example, I've seen projects negatively impacted by bad
      policies on purchasing equipment, which had become entrenched within
      the company.

      I think it's within the spirit of XP to perform a mental experiment
      of doing away with architecture. That seems to be what you're doing.
      It's also within our spirit to try to take it over and make it be
      something that works for us. That's what I'd like to do.

      Charlie Poole
      cpoole@...
    • li jian@InfoQ
      Message 221 of 221 , Nov 20, 2007