RE: [XP] Architecture

  • Bill de hÓra
    Message 1 of 221 , May 1, 2002
      > From: Laurent Bossavit [mailto:laurent@...]
      >
      > The thing is, I don't really know what an "ERP system integration"
      > is, so I can't answer that question on an informed basis. If you are
      > kind enough to educate me first, I will attempt to answer.

      "ERP system integration" is just a lots of little system integrations.

      > > Amy suggestion as to why this would be the case?
      >
      > Say SAP goes out of business...

      ...someone will buy SAP to pick up the maintenance contracts.

      > > >A firm with 10K users which has only
      > > >entrenched the use of HTML and HTTP is better off, in my book.
      > >
      > > Again any suggestion as to why?
      >
      > Well, who would have to go out of business, in order that HTML and
      > HTTP be no longer "supported" technologies ? Or more generally what
      > would have to happen for that to happen ?

      Support of SAP technology is not dependent on SAP being in business.

      > OK, imagine you have trouble understanding some minor detail of the
      > HTTP protocol. Then imagine you have trouble understanding some minor
      > detail of the SAP platform. Please research the compared costs of
      > filling in this minor understanding gap in either situation, taking
      > into account my own knowledge of one and ignorance of the other, and
      > the mechanics of a market economy driven by supply and demand.

      For your line of argument, it's not the protocols that matter, it's how
      their implementations behave. Having spent a lot of time on HTTP, it's
      clear to me that having an open protocol is a big win, but you need to
      know how the machinery behaves in the field. Because the protocol is
      open there are more flavours of machinery to know about. You'd be
      surprised at the amount of implementation specific garbage that's sent
      around the Web, but it all works well enough, as does SAP. Open
      protocols make no guarantees wrt to futureprooofing.

      Bill de hÓra
    • li jian@InfoQ
      Message 221 of 221 , Nov 20, 2007
        Hi,