RE: [XP] Architecture

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 221 , May 1, 2002
      Glen:

      > Well this is interesting. Could I conjecture that Agile development and
      > therefore XP is NOT applicable to ERP system integration projects?

      You can conjecture all you like. I won't keep you. ;->

      The thing is, I don't really know what an "ERP system integration"
      is, so I can't answer that question on an informed basis. If you are
      kind enough to educate me first, I will attempt to answer.

      > >I have no reason to believe that either firm has less of a need for
      > >disentrenchment than the other.
      >
      > I'm exactly clear on why architecture is associated with disentrenchment?

      Simply because entrenchment masquerading as "architecture" is all too
      often a harbinger of project failure. (Charlie's "war story" about
      i18n is relevant.)

      > >I expect that a firm with 10K users worldwide which has standardized
      > >on SAP could get to regret it.
      >
      > Amy suggestion as to why this would be the case?

      Say SAP goes out of business...

      > >A firm with 10K users which has only
      > >entrenched the use of HTML and HTTP is better off, in my book.
      >
      > Again any suggestion as to why?

      Well, who would have to go out of business, in order that HTML and
      HTTP be no longer "supported" technologies ? Or more generally what
      would have to happen for that to happen ?

      > >I'm saying this, not in spite of, but *because* of, my utter lack of
      > >knowledge about SAP.
      >
      > Oh now I understand why those conjecture are made ;>)!!!

      OK, imagine you have trouble understanding some minor detail of the
      HTTP protocol. Then imagine you have trouble understanding some minor
      detail of the SAP platform. Please research the compared costs of
      filling in this minor understanding gap in either situation, taking
      into account my own knowledge of one and ignorance of the other, and
      the mechanics of a market economy driven by supply and demand.

      -[Morendil]-
      We all live in a yellow subroutine.
    • li jian@InfoQ
      Message 221 of 221 , Nov 20, 2007