Re: [XP] "Proof of Concept" [was: Re: Deferring decisions]

  • yet another bill smith
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      dhemeryy wrote:

      > Hi Carl,
      >
      > > My own preference, and I'm sorry I can't remember whether I saw this
      > > somewhere or came up with it myself, is to call this a _Test_ of
      > > Concept. "Proof" to me strongly suggests that you already know the
      > > outcome - far better to undertake such things open-minded, seems to
      > > me.
      >
      > See definitions 4 and 3a at <http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=proof>.

      I liked defn 6, which was seriously off-topic. Other examples in common
      English usage--

      the proof of the pudding is in the eating. smelling gives you some idea,
      but if you really want to know how good it is, there's only one sure way
      of getting the authoritative knowledge.

      the exception proves the rule. you want to know how/when to apply the
      rule, look for cases where it does NOT apply. This usage also carries
      some suggestion that the rule might fail the test--if there are too many
      exceptions, the rule is useless.

      in making yeast-based bread, one starts by verifying that the yeast is
      still alive. Put the yeast into some sugar water, if it bubbles it's OK.
      this is known as 'proofing' the yeast.

      Returnig to topic, I've always heard this called a "Proof of COncept"
      at least until I read XP, where it is likely to be called a spike.
    • Jim Standley
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2002
        While "proof of concept" is fairly widely used, we did have a lot of
        discussion about exactly what we expected at the end. This was finally
        defined on a per case basis, mostly dependent on where the feature fit in
        the schedule and who might be doing the remaining work. Some times the
        result of the POC was code ready to be integrated. I thought that was going
        too far, and it was the exception. Most of the time it was a demonstration
        that something was possible, expecting the real code to cut & paste some of
        the nitty gritty bits, but to refactor most of the code into the baseline.
        When a handoff to a less experienced developer was expected (no PP here) the
        result included some hints or design on how to integrate.

        Proof, demonstration, test, I'm not real concerned about the word. I'd
        think "concept" is more up for debate, as this was often a trial of one or
        more proposed designs than a concept. We also gave permission to change the
        design as needed to make it work, so it might wind up a demonstration of
        some quite different concept. Some very good counter-proposals came after
        proving the original concept would NOT work.