RE: [XP] Architecture

  • Charlie Poole
    Message 1 of 221 , May 1, 2002
      Glen,

      > So thinking too much or thinking too little is the "real"
      > problem. It's all
      > about "thinking right," and that's much harder to do than too much or too
      > little.

      When you're lost in the woods, and you know that the fire road where your
      car is parked is somewhere to the north, you head north of course. But you
      *don't* try to head for your car. If you did that, you'd most likely
      reach the road somewhere, but might not know which way to walk. So you
      head a little east (or west, if that's more convenient) of north. Now
      when you reach the road, you can confidently turn left (or right) and
      expect to shortly find your car.

      Similarly, since it's hard to do just the right amount of architecture up
      front, we need to aim either high or low. Aiming low is more convenient
      for two reasons. First, we avoid doing work that may not be needed. Second,
      and perhaps more important, teams seem to have more trouble dropping those
      practices which are not pulling their weight than they do adding new ones.

      Based on your comments in other threads, I suspect this is what you're
      doing. You seem to be a bit heavy on architecture as compared to many
      other folks here, but it sounds as if you're tons lighter than other
      people doing similar things.

      Charlie Poole
      cpoole@...
    • li jian@InfoQ