RE: [XP] Architecture

  • Glen B. Alleman
    Message 1 of 221 , May 1, 2002
      Bryan,

      All good points except I'm a bit confused on the last...more below.

      I would agree and disagree. The "agile" concepts are much broader IME than
      the XP practices. So applying Agile - as defined in Scott Amblers AM
      practices and transformed into ERP terminology is being put to the test as
      we speak.

      >I do think that XP/Agile is inappropriate in a lot of situations though,
      because of the
      >people and politics in an organization. I would suggest that, given the
      >usual Dilbertesque nature of the companies that typically do EAI and ERP
      >that XP/Agile wouldn't be a good fit (note: I'm not saying that all
      >companies that by SAP are run by PHBs - just most of them).

      Yes, picking the audience is important, but even in the presence of "problem
      clients" the principles can be used to advantage.

      >> >I expect that a firm with 10K users worldwide which has standardized
      >> >on SAP could get to regret it.
      >>
      >> Amy suggestion as to why this would be the case?
      >
      >Lack of flexibility. Inability to meet the industry best practice processes
      >that SAP to some extent dictates. Humanity. Error. Inability for humans to
      >act like a computer. Lack of understanding of the system. Inability to
      >comprehend the system. Lack of foresight when implementing the system.
      >
      >And I am speaking from recent experience.
      >
      >> The principles and practices espoused in the Agile Alliance Manifesto are
      >> desperately needed in the ERP domain, just as (and maybe even more than)
      >> they are in other domains.
      >
      >Needed, I can understand. Needed more?

      More, yes because of the gaps in the domain. A small team of experience
      developers working with their customer could probably use almost any method
      or even no formal method and have success. The ERP domain is fraught with
      systemic problems, some of which can be addressed by agile.

      >Cheers,
      >
      >Bryan

      Glen
    • li jian@InfoQ