RE: [XP] Re: Re: Easy things first

  • Bryan Dollery
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2002
      Hi Brian,

      > > I always code to the mainline. If this program has to be bulletproof,
      > > i.e. deal with bad input, I probably want a story for that.
      >
      > Ron, do you tell your customers this up front? I could see a customer
      > expecting this kind of error checking "for free". Then he would never
      > specifically ask for it.

      Never is a long time. I'd be willing to bet that if a customer wanted this
      sort of bulletproofing, and forgot to mention it, he'd notice at the start
      of week 4 when he's examining the first release of the system that it
      hasn't got it.

      This would provide feedback to him that he hasn't fully communicated his
      intent, and so a conversation will ensue in which he would fully specify
      his requirements - including bulletproofing. From that point on the
      developers can factor the extra time for this style of code, and the
      customer can choose to pay for it or not.

      Cheers,

      Bryan