Re: PSP and XP

  • Johan Andersson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2000

      > Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:18:43 -0500
      > From: "Andy Glew" <glew@...>
      >
      > It's a projection of relatively heavyweight development process
      > down to an individual level. It emphasizes much data recording,
      > logging of estimates, bugs, etc.

      On a very basic level I understand PSP as 'get better by observing yourself
      working'. On this level I would think it compatible with XP. Programming in
      pairs probably even improves this 'self observation' as it gets more spoken
      aloud.

      > Actually, most of what it recommends is quite reasonable,
      > especialy the record keeping - it really helps to have a historical
      > record of your accuracy in estimating.

      I do not believe in the PSP claims of precise estimation in anything other
      than a very limited type of work consisting of repetetive creation of
      entirely new code of around 300-800 code lines from similar rock solid,
      pre-designed specifications. IMHO this type of work is very rare in
      practice. It is also incompatible with XP and the redesign as you go,
      refactoring style of development.

      Also, for people doing OOP, repetetive creation of new code to solve
      similar specifications is a contradiction in terms. It is also a waste of
      time. To be nasty one could say that PSP is an excellent way to tell how
      much time you are wasting by not doing OOP.

      > But, PSP takes a lot of the fun out of programming.

      The need by certain types of management to have numerous 'control tools',
      such as detailed reports, software metrics, massive up-front design docs
      etc, often take out not only the fun of programming but also the
      productivity and efficiency.

      This is not so surprising as the developers spend more than half their time
      writing about what they are about to do, what they have done, how it was
      done and when it was done, instead of doing what needs to be done.

      > Periodically I try to practice it, but I usually don't get very far.

      I recommend practising it on the 'basic level', but then again on that
      level it is hardly unique to software development :-)

      /Johan

      --
      Johan Andersson, AppGate AB
      Internet: johan.andersson@..., http://www.appgate.com