Re: [XP] If coach is a programmer, where do I fit in?

  • Randy Coulman
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2000
      "Donald F. McLean" wrote:

      > Randy Coulman wrote:
      > >
      > > For the second problem, Unit Tests is definitely the answer.
      >
      > Not to be contrary, but Unit Tests are only half of the answer -
      > Functional Test are the other. It isn't enough that the program
      > works as designed, it has to be designed to do the right thing.

      You're right, of course.

      I guess I was thinking more in terms of "Fix your worst problems first",
      which is the context of the thread.

      In that context, if you're not doing much testing, it's probably easier
      to start with Unit Tests than Functional Tests (at least in my limited
      experience).

      Also, Unit Tests should ensure that "lack of sufficient testing" is no
      longer your worst problem. When "the system doesn't do exactly what the
      customer wants" becomes the biggest problem, that's when to start on
      Functional Tests (at least when incrementally adopting XP by solving
      your worst problem(s) first).

      Randy
      --
      Randy Coulman, M.Sc. Settler Agricultural Software
      RandyC@... 200 - 1911 Park St. Regina, SK S4N 2G5
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2000