Re: [XP] If coach is a programmer, where do I fit in?

  • Randy Coulman
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2000
      jkinghorn@... wrote:

      > Our biggest problems right now are:
      > managing requirements (internal customer keeps changing them, but
      > wants them all in first release)
      > lack of sufficient testing
      > very little project visibility (no progress measurements)
      >
      > All of these problems mean we are consistently counting on the
      > heroics of the team.
      >
      > So, I guess my answer is to start with User Stories and Unit Tests?

      For the first and third problems, I think you actually want the Planning
      Game, for which you will need the User Stories as "game tokens". User
      Stories will help with "managing requirements", but you need the full
      Planning Game to help the customer understand what it would cost (in
      terms of time, resources, and risk) to have all of the requirements in
      the first release.

      For the second problem, Unit Tests is definitely the answer.

      Randy
      --
      Randy Coulman, M.Sc. Settler Agricultural Software
      RandyC@... 200 - 1911 Park St. Regina, SK S4N 2G5
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2000
        Randy Coulman wrote:

        > jkinghorn@... wrote:
        > >
        > > Our biggest problems right now are:
        > > managing requirements (internal customer keeps changing them, but
        > > wants them all in first release)
        > > lack of sufficient testing
        > > very little project visibility (no progress measurements)
        > >
        > > All of these problems mean we are consistently counting on the
        > > heroics of the team.
        > >
        > > So, I guess my answer is to start with User Stories and Unit Tests?
        > >

        > For the first and third problems, I think you actually want the Planning
        > Game, for which you will need the User Stories as "game tokens". User
        > Stories will help with "managing requirements", but you need the full
        > Planning Game to help the customer understand what it would cost (in
        > terms of time, resources, and risk) to have all of the requirements in
        > the first release.
        >
        > For the second problem, Unit Tests is definitely the answer.

        Not to be contrary, but Unit Tests are only half of the answer -
        Functional Test are the other. It isn't enough that the program
        works as designed, it has to be designed to do the right thing.
        --
        Donald McLean dmclean@...
        Space Telescope Science Institute http://www.stsci.edu
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2000
          "Donald F. McLean" wrote:

          > Randy Coulman wrote:
          > >
          > > For the second problem, Unit Tests is definitely the answer.
          >
          > Not to be contrary, but Unit Tests are only half of the answer -
          > Functional Test are the other. It isn't enough that the program
          > works as designed, it has to be designed to do the right thing.

          You're right, of course.

          I guess I was thinking more in terms of "Fix your worst problems first",
          which is the context of the thread.

          In that context, if you're not doing much testing, it's probably easier
          to start with Unit Tests than Functional Tests (at least in my limited
          experience).

          Also, Unit Tests should ensure that "lack of sufficient testing" is no
          longer your worst problem. When "the system doesn't do exactly what the
          customer wants" becomes the biggest problem, that's when to start on
          Functional Tests (at least when incrementally adopting XP by solving
          your worst problem(s) first).

          Randy
          --
          Randy Coulman, M.Sc. Settler Agricultural Software
          RandyC@... 200 - 1911 Park St. Regina, SK S4N 2G5
          Senior Developer Phone: (306) 721-7949 Ext. 224
          Special Projects Fax: (306) 721-1981 http://www.settler.com
        • Steve Freeman
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2000
            > managing requirements (internal customer keeps changing them, but
            > wants them all in first release)
            > lack of sufficient testing
            > very little project visibility (no progress measurements)
            >
            > All of these problems mean we are consistently counting on the
            > heroics of the team.
            >
            > So, I guess my answer is to start with User Stories and Unit Tests?

            That sounds good, if you can get your users to join in a planning game. We had good experiences with this because it exposes the users to some of the gritty detail they usually ignore. It can make them much more carefully about what they really want.

            Depending on your codebase, you might want to start with Functional Tests, so you can do full regression testing and use new tests as a measure of progress.It depends on how hard it would be to set up something automated that talks to the model (i.e. don't go in through one of those UI tools).

            Steve