Re: [XP] Could/should the Coach be a Programmer?

  • zzz
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2000
      Speaking as an XP wannabe...

      As I see it the coach is focused on the process, not the product. She makes sure that
      people are not skipping on testing, spots the guy who is working on his own too much,
      helps the new team member with early estimating and test writing skills and notices that
      the desk layout could be better. Her deliverable is a smoothly running process. As
      such, a coach might not programme, and certainly should never own a task.

      Being able to programme and pair with people would be an advantage but first class people
      skills and a solid understanding of XP at several levels would be more important.

      Rgds.

      Tom
    • John Wetherbie
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2000
        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Jen Wu <jen@d...> wrote:
        > I think there's some confusion here ... Some people are talking
        about
        > a coach being a non-programmer (as in, does not know how to code, or
        > hasn't done it in a while) and some people are talking about a coach
        > who doesn't program on the particular project that's being coached.
        > My suspicion is that most people saying that the coach should be a
        > programmer do not mean that the coach should program on the project
        > they are coaching.

        Actually, my reason for starting this thread is to address whether
        the
        Coach could/should be a Programmer on the project he is coaching. All
        the responses appeared to be along this line.