Re: [XP] Could/should the Coach be a Programmer?

  • Jen Wu
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2000
      I think there's some confusion here ... Some people are talking about
      a coach being a non-programmer (as in, does not know how to code, or
      hasn't done it in a while) and some people are talking about a coach
      who doesn't program on the particular project that's being coached.
      My suspicion is that most people saying that the coach should be a
      programmer do not mean that the coach should program on the project
      they are coaching.

      I think it would be good to separate the roles of teacher and coach.
      I'm sure they can be the same person, but they don't have to be. If
      we decide to adopt XP with our new project, I suspect that someone
      on-site will be acting as a full-time coach, while someone from the
      outside will be providing us with the benefit of their experience and
      knowledge of XP and other practices.

      I would expect a coach to be someone who can focus the team towards
      their goals, to make sure morale is high, and to advocate for the team
      when needed. This does not have to be a programmer -- I think some of
      the best coaches (and teachers) are the ones who can guide a team
      without having to tell them how to do something, but asking questions
      that will lead them to discover the right answers (even if the coach
      doesn't know what they are).

      Jen

      John Wetherbie wrote:

      > --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Robert C. Martin"
      > <rmartin@o...> wrote:
      >
      > > This is not football. Coaches should code, even if only a little.
      > But
      > > IMHO the more the better.
      >
      > Bob,
      >
      > How little is little, ie, what percentage of the time is the minimum
      > you would code if you were the Coach? Maximum percentage of the time?
      >
      > Do you agree with the concept that the Coach shouldn't be responsible
      > for any Tasks but should rather focus on helping out others in Pair
      > Programming?

      > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
    • zzz
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2000
        Speaking as an XP wannabe...

        As I see it the coach is focused on the process, not the product. She makes sure that
        people are not skipping on testing, spots the guy who is working on his own too much,
        helps the new team member with early estimating and test writing skills and notices that
        the desk layout could be better. Her deliverable is a smoothly running process. As
        such, a coach might not programme, and certainly should never own a task.

        Being able to programme and pair with people would be an advantage but first class people
        skills and a solid understanding of XP at several levels would be more important.

        Rgds.

        Tom
      • John Wetherbie
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2000
          --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Jen Wu <jen@d...> wrote:
          > I think there's some confusion here ... Some people are talking
          about
          > a coach being a non-programmer (as in, does not know how to code, or
          > hasn't done it in a while) and some people are talking about a coach
          > who doesn't program on the particular project that's being coached.
          > My suspicion is that most people saying that the coach should be a
          > programmer do not mean that the coach should program on the project
          > they are coaching.

          Actually, my reason for starting this thread is to address whether
          the
          Coach could/should be a Programmer on the project he is coaching. All
          the responses appeared to be along this line.