Re: [XP] Limits of Metaphor [was Re: XPlorations - The System Metaphor]

  • Alan Knight
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2000
      The way I understood it the XP system metaphor is more about the system and
      less about the domain. So, in C3, part of the system metaphor was an
      assembly line with various stations. C3 was a payroll system and had
      nothing to do with assembly lines. The metaphor was entirely about the
      internal structure of the system -- in our software payroll thingies are
      processed one at a time by things that are like stations and which do some
      operation to that payroll thing, e.g. make a deduction, pay some money.

      --
      Alan Knight [|]
      knight@...

      "Never give up; and never, under any circumstances, no matter what
      -- never face the facts" - Ruth Gordon
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28, 2000
        At 01:27 PM 4/28/2000 -0400, you wrote:
        >The way I understood it the XP system metaphor is more about the system and
        >less about the domain. So, in C3, part of the system metaphor was an
        >assembly line with various stations. C3 was a payroll system and had
        >nothing to do with assembly lines. The metaphor was entirely about the
        >internal structure of the system -- in our software payroll thingies are
        >processed one at a time by things that are like stations and which do some
        >operation to that payroll thing, e.g. make a deduction, pay some money.

        The metaphor IMO _must_ be about the system, as its point is to help people
        name and find things. If it could be more like the domain, I'm sure that
        would be great.