[XP] Test Objectives (was: Re: Unit Test Challenge II)

  • dhemeryy
    Message 1 of 263 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hi Ron,

      > > What stops us from moving that assertion to the test code, and
      > > calling it a test?
      >
      > The fact that we can't test all possible values in our tests

      So... your desire to leave an exit-criterion assert is a signal that
      you don't trust your tests.

      > but the assertion lives forever?

      Who benefits from the assertion living forever? How do the assertions
      help?

      Dale
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 263 of 263 , Apr 6, 2002
        > Why don't you replace the asserts with comments?

        I don't write many asserts or comments, but *I* would most often prefer
        asserts before comments because

        - I always first look at the code if I want to know what it does. If a
        precondition is significant enough to be written down, it is probably
        significant enough to be spotted early.

        - I most often find it easier to articulate something about code *in*
        code than in natural language.

        - I think if I *don't* find it easy to articulate a significant concept
        about the code in code, that tells me something about the design.

        - Even if I find it easy to articulate an assertion, writing it down
        might nevertheless tell me something about the design I didn't smell
        before.

        - I almost always find it easier to understand code than to understand
        natural language.

        - I am more likely to forget adjusting a comment to changing code than
        adjusting an assert.

        - I think it is easier to refactor an assertion than to refactor a
        comment

        - I simply hate writing comments, whereas I love writing code! ;-)

        There are probably more reasons...

        Regards, Ilja