Re: [XP] Test Objectives (was: Re: Unit Test Challenge II)

  • Kevin Lawrence
    Message 1 of 263 , Apr 1, 2002
      From: "Ron Jeffries" <ronjeffries@...>

      [big snipping]

      > Now let me come back to my question: when we use assertions, is there
      > someone or some code that we do not trust? (I think the answer is
      > clearly "Yes".) And given that there is something untrusted, can we
      > make it trusted, so that we can remove the assertions? Would it be
      > better to do so?
      >
      > I don't know the answer. I know that in general I prefer the style of
      > code that does no defensive stuff. I'd like to mostly program that
      > way. But safely.

      Just curious - do you mostly program alone these days, Ron ?

      I find myself using much less defensive code when I code alone. Mostly
      laziness, I expect. If it continues to work out for me, I might decide to
      make a virtue out of a vice and say I am doing it because it is not
      cost-effective. You probably skipped the intermediate, lazy, step (assuming
      my assumption above is correct).

      Kevin
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 263 of 263 , Apr 6, 2002
        > Why don't you replace the asserts with comments?

        I don't write many asserts or comments, but *I* would most often prefer
        asserts before comments because

        - I always first look at the code if I want to know what it does. If a
        precondition is significant enough to be written down, it is probably
        significant enough to be spotted early.

        - I most often find it easier to articulate something about code *in*
        code than in natural language.

        - I think if I *don't* find it easy to articulate a significant concept
        about the code in code, that tells me something about the design.

        - Even if I find it easy to articulate an assertion, writing it down
        might nevertheless tell me something about the design I didn't smell
        before.

        - I almost always find it easier to understand code than to understand
        natural language.

        - I am more likely to forget adjusting a comment to changing code than
        adjusting an assert.

        - I think it is easier to refactor an assertion than to refactor a
        comment

        - I simply hate writing comments, whereas I love writing code! ;-)

        There are probably more reasons...

        Regards, Ilja