RE: language question (human language)

  • Jim.Hyslop
    Message 1 of 135 , Apr 1 10:26 AM
      Mike Clark <mike@...> wrote:
      > I realize you're playing devil's advocate here, and that's cool. But
      seriously, has
      > anyone experienced this much resistance to unit testing?
      Well, I once had a manager who probably would have given me that kind of
      resistance. It was early in my career, and I didn't yet know just how
      valuable unit tests are.

      I was chasing down a bug in a legacy system, and the manager asked how long
      it would take me to fix the bug. I told her I'd need a few days to
      understand what that part of the software was doing. Her response was "Don't
      try to understand it, just fix it." She was not joking.

      --
      Jim
    • yet another bill smith
      Message 135 of 135 , Apr 3 10:26 AM
        From: Mike Clark [mailto:mike@...]
        Bill de hÓra wrote:

        > > > o you're weak, because you can't code without tests.
        > > > o you're writing code that isn't deliverable.
        > > >
        > > > whereby one can get cornered into admitting one's not
        > > > competent.
        > > >

        > > I suppose the same person might accuse you of being weak
        > > because you can't code without a design document or a version
        > > control system, both of which are not deliverable.
        >
        > Oh. That's _very_ good. I shall sacrifice a Guinness in your honour
        > tonight.

        Ah, such a fate! Easter is the time to remember past sacrifices, isn't
        it.

        McInis go bragh.