Re: [XP] Test Objectives (was: Re: Unit Test Challenge II)

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 263 , Apr 1 2:41 AM
      > In fact, Laurent, I wasn't aware that you use them. Maybe we would
      > profit from an Assertions discussion.

      I'll post some code tomorrow. I use them... sparingly. I find myself
      writing a comment to clarify the code; and the only refactoring that
      applies is Replace Comment with Assertion.

      -[Morendil]-
      Use of this tagline in nuclear applications prohibited.
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 263 of 263 , Apr 6 12:24 AM
        > Why don't you replace the asserts with comments?

        I don't write many asserts or comments, but *I* would most often prefer
        asserts before comments because

        - I always first look at the code if I want to know what it does. If a
        precondition is significant enough to be written down, it is probably
        significant enough to be spotted early.

        - I most often find it easier to articulate something about code *in*
        code than in natural language.

        - I think if I *don't* find it easy to articulate a significant concept
        about the code in code, that tells me something about the design.

        - Even if I find it easy to articulate an assertion, writing it down
        might nevertheless tell me something about the design I didn't smell
        before.

        - I almost always find it easier to understand code than to understand
        natural language.

        - I am more likely to forget adjusting a comment to changing code than
        adjusting an assert.

        - I think it is easier to refactor an assertion than to refactor a
        comment

        - I simply hate writing comments, whereas I love writing code! ;-)

        There are probably more reasons...

        Regards, Ilja