RE: [XP] replace asserts with comments

  • jeffgrigg63132
    Message 1 of 263 , Mar 31, 2002

      --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@a...> wrote:
      > Why don't you replace the asserts with comments?
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > It's easier to act your way into a new way of thinking
      > than to think your way into a new way of acting. --Millard Fuller

      "Replace asserts with comments"???
      This can't be the real Ron Jefferies!!! It's an IMPOSTER!!!!

      -- the real jeff

      "I have a firm grip on reality. Now I can strangle it."
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 263 of 263 , Apr 6, 2002
        > Why don't you replace the asserts with comments?

        I don't write many asserts or comments, but *I* would most often prefer
        asserts before comments because

        - I always first look at the code if I want to know what it does. If a
        precondition is significant enough to be written down, it is probably
        significant enough to be spotted early.

        - I most often find it easier to articulate something about code *in*
        code than in natural language.

        - I think if I *don't* find it easy to articulate a significant concept
        about the code in code, that tells me something about the design.

        - Even if I find it easy to articulate an assertion, writing it down
        might nevertheless tell me something about the design I didn't smell
        before.

        - I almost always find it easier to understand code than to understand
        natural language.

        - I am more likely to forget adjusting a comment to changing code than
        adjusting an assert.

        - I think it is easier to refactor an assertion than to refactor a
        comment

        - I simply hate writing comments, whereas I love writing code! ;-)

        There are probably more reasons...

        Regards, Ilja