[XP] Unit Test Challenge II

  • Bryan Dollery
    Message 1 of 263 , Mar 21, 2002
      Okay, thanks to the Two Ronnies for the code, and the tests. Now, and this
      is going to be a bit easier for Ron, than Ron.

      Add to the triangle the ability to report what type of triangle it is
      (isosceles, equilateral, etc.)

      The interface should be amended with something like

      public String getType();

      Again, I'm mostly interested in the tests.
      ---

      Now, a quick question. Ron, what language is that?

      Bryan

      b r y a n d o l l e r y | c e o
      c h a o s e n g i n e e r s
      +64 (0)21 330607
      http://www.ChaosEngineers.co.nz
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 263 of 263 , Apr 6, 2002
        > Why don't you replace the asserts with comments?

        I don't write many asserts or comments, but *I* would most often prefer
        asserts before comments because

        - I always first look at the code if I want to know what it does. If a
        precondition is significant enough to be written down, it is probably
        significant enough to be spotted early.

        - I most often find it easier to articulate something about code *in*
        code than in natural language.

        - I think if I *don't* find it easy to articulate a significant concept
        about the code in code, that tells me something about the design.

        - Even if I find it easy to articulate an assertion, writing it down
        might nevertheless tell me something about the design I didn't smell
        before.

        - I almost always find it easier to understand code than to understand
        natural language.

        - I am more likely to forget adjusting a comment to changing code than
        adjusting an assert.

        - I think it is easier to refactor an assertion than to refactor a
        comment

        - I simply hate writing comments, whereas I love writing code! ;-)

        There are probably more reasons...

        Regards, Ilja