RE: [XP] New to XP - Advice on Pair Programming - senior + junior partners

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2002
      > Plus, I work for a large company and they have some institutionalized
      > hiring practices I doubt they would let a programmer alter.

      As an exercise, please list three ways in which the actions of a
      "lowly" programmer might have influence on the hiring practices of a
      large company.

      (I'll list one for free - date a nice-looking girl from HR, make her see
      things from your point of view.)
    • Brian C. Robinson
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2002
        Rick Hightower made a strange utterance something like this:
        > >Unfortunately I am technically the junior person on the team having been
        >hired last and having the least experience. So I'm not in a position to
        >screen anyone.
        >
        >Ouch... been there. Maybe you should have screened the company.

        Well, I was not in a position of power. I just graduated from college and
        though I had two years of industry experience I wasn't flooded with
        offers. The company I'm with now made me a good offer and it turns out I
        really like the environment; all the people I work with are great and we
        get along really well. This is a big difference from jobs I've had in the
        past and it really makes me appreciate the job. It also makes the
        inexperience of some of the people I work with all the more frustrating.

        >Suggestion: Help them improve the screening process for new recruits.
        >Put together a training program, brownbag technical lunches (which include
        >book studies), etc. to improve existing staff.

        I don't think we're hiring anyone new right now. Plus, I work for a large

        --
        "The best programmers that I have ever met have an amazing ability to make
        nasty sh*t disappear. *Poof*" Gareth Reeves -- reevesg@...