RE: On wanting success (was Re: [XP] cons of XP -- on "success")

  • Dinwiddie, George
    Message 1 of 98 , Mar 1, 2002
      A friend told me last night that
      - Good managers remove roadblocks
      - Bad managers create roadblocks
      - Managers who do nothing are better than average

      George

    • Dossy
      Message 98 of 98 , Mar 2, 2002

        Dale said:
        > Here's my interpretation: XP has only essential practices. Other
        > methodologies include helpful-but-nonessential practices that you
        > might be able to remove safely. But if you remove a practice from XP,
        > you're removing something that is (very likely to be) essential to
        > your success.
        >
        > Am I getting the cause-and-effect right?

        Yes. I feel the way you rephrased what I said is a good way
        of distilling what I was trying to say from what I actually said.

        I'd even go so far as to say that XP's "essential practices" aren't
        even always essential for every single possible project. However,
        you can never be certain which practices aren't possible at the
        start of the project, so you're best bet is to do them all at the
        start. Then, decide how to adapt as experience guides you.

        -- Dossy

        --
        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...