Re: [XP] cons of XP

  • Peter Hansen
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 1 6:11 AM
      Around Thursday, February 28, 2002, 11:05:49 PM, Mike Clark wrote:

      > If only the wedging were immediate, it might be an easier sell. As it is, the wedging
      > is a slowly tightening noose. When it becomes uncomfortable, it's often times too
      > late.

      "Prevent wedgies: use XP."
    • Dossy
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 2 10:19 AM
        On 2002.03.01, Dinwiddie, George <George.Dinwiddie@...> wrote:
        > It's quite possible, however, that they do want to ship quality
        > software on time and they may believe that the XP practices will
        > cause them not to do so. Or they may believe that if they just
        > get the requirements right before they start, they will be able
        > to do so. Or they may believe that if they have a good enough
        > Architect do the design before the coders start, they will be
        > able to do so.

        If they're successful doing it the way they're used to, then
        there is no point in proselytizing. It's hard to convince
        someone who believes (or at least perceives) that they've
        got a successful methodology to convert to XP. I don't
        blame them.

        However, if you've "gone down with the ship" on enough failed
        projects ... isn't that a not-very-subtle hint that the techniques
        you're employing aren't working? XP may not be the solution,
        or the only solution, but at least it's something different than
        what you're already doing ... so why not give it a shot? Not
        changing your actions that lead to failure is, in my opinion,
        an explicit "physical" expression of not wanting to succeed.

        > In any of these scenarios, saying that they must not *really*
        > want to ship quality software on time is not congruent with
        > their beliefs and will do nothing to change their mind. It
        > is an argument that may undermine your intent with uninvolved
        > observers, too.

        Possibly. Perhaps the people who really do want to shp quality
        software on time have already tried XP (and perhaps taken away
        what good points they can) and those who remain who aren't
        willing to try it are indeed refusing to try something new
        because those few really don't care about shipping quality
        software. They seem to care about other things more, like
        political agendas or just covering their own asses.

        Of course, if they just started demonstrating their value to
        the organization, they wouldn't need to play those stupid
        games, but maybe that says something ...

        -- Dossy

        --
        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...