Metaphor again (was RE: Threading)

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2002
      > > Our meetings suddenly (and naturally) turned into discussions about
      > > the use of the application.

      Laurent Bossavit:
      > Most excellent...
      >
      > I'm starting to think of the practice as "Thinking in Metaphors" (and
      > call it that in writing).

      <snip />
      > Make up "forced" analogies and use them to generate metaphors in the
      > rhetorical sense (i.e. not similes or other figures of speech), not
      > necessarily meaningful. E.g. "the RendezVous messaging bus became the
      > hard rind around the cheesy crust of the market simulator".

      When I was at IBM, the most common metaphor used among my immediate friends was
      the one for our process. We used the "Rotting Onion" development model. I'll
      let you imagine the process' details for yourself.

      J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger
      President, Diaspar Software Services
      http://www.diasparsoftware.com
      Let's write software that people understand.