Re: [XP] Automated Testing using HttpUnit vs Screen Capture Playback

  • Mike Clark
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2002
      haroldrudolf wrote:

      > I am in a position of providing consulting advice to a company that
      > is adopting the practices of extreme programming. From an automated
      > testing standpoint, the company has certain expertise with Screen
      > Capture and Playback (SC&P) testing tools. A decision is to be
      > reached whether to apply existing SC&P testing tools to the extreme
      > programming project or to adopt HttpUnit for system-scope testing. I
      > have my own opinion, but I wanted to get feedback from the community
      > at large.

      My experience has been that customers prefer some high-level wrapper around HttpUnit
      that doesn't require Java programming skills. Using a data-driven approach is much
      more flexible and lowers the barrier to entry for customers and other non-programmers
      writing tests.

      Although I have yet to try it, Canoo Web Test looks promising. It allows the test
      actions and data to be defined in an XML file, and uses HttpUnit under the hood:

      http://services-dev.canoo.com/webtest/manual/WebTestHome.html

      Mike

      --
      Mike Clark