Re: [XP] Re: XP and McConnel

  • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2002
      Kevin Smith:
      >We seem to be getting quite a few of these "What is XP?" and "How
      >does XP compare to McConnell?" questions these days. I suspect at
      >least some of them relate to academic assignments.
      >
      >Perhaps we should create a Wiki page that addresses these specific
      >issues, so the answer to any such posting could be: Go look at xyz.

      And perhaps we could simply suggest that people do their own homework.

      There is a qualitative difference between:

      "I have been reading XP explained and these three web sites for a research
      assignment, and I have a question"

      and posting one's research assignment to a mailing list hoping some sucker
      does your homework for you.

      I suspect we are getting much of the latter.

      If you make the wiki page, make sure you point them to where to begin
      learning XP -- although I am guessing their professors have already done
      this and if they actually wanted to learn something they wouldn't need the
      wiki page in the first place.

      Generally, people don't ask question that sound like research topics.
      Unfortunately, for the student if they knew enough to ask genuine-sounding
      questions, they could actually answer their research topic, and not have to
      post. What a quandary (seems like more work than simply learning to me).

      Best,
      Bill