Re: XP and McConnel

  • banshee858
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
      Is McConnell the same Steve McConnell who wrote Rapid Development?
      If so, he and Kent Beck seem to be required reading universities
      today.
    • Wyatt Sutherland
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
        It's in the name.

        For those who appreciate a simple "light weight" approach, the XP name
        probably means very little (though personally I like XP). For that matter
        XP could be called CP "Contemporary Process." ;-)

        When I introduce clients to XP I go to extremes avoiding the word extreme
        and use agile.

        From my experience clients become deaf when they hear the word extreme.
        From their perspective they understand all that there is to know about XP
        and interject false notions before you can deliver the message.

        Therefore I structure process management, expectation/participation and role
        conversations toward "client" benefits in the "way we do it...why it
        works...how it's done" delivery...let them mull it over and upon the next
        visit[s] gradually use the words agile and extreme. Hopefully by then
        you've won their trust.

        It's unfortunate, but you do what you've got to do until XP becomes more
        mainstream. IMO.

        This has worked for me...though I digress from the original #6 question.

        Wyatt

        > From: "haalis" <haalis@...>
        > Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 11:19:21 -0000
        > To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [XP] XP and McConnel
        >
        > 6. What is the negative sides of xp?
      • jim_mcfarland
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "banshee858" <carlton.nettleton@d...>
          wrote:
          > Is McConnell the same Steve McConnell who wrote Rapid Development?
          > If so, he and Kent Beck seem to be required reading universities
          > today.

          Yes, I think that everyone is referring to Steve McConnell. My two
          cents is that McConnell's books/methods and XP are only in conflict
          if you always do things "by the book". 8-) Since all projects and
          people are different, and neither McConnell's approach or XP is a one
          size fits all solution, combining ideas from both would seem to be
          applicable on more projects that either one on its own would be.
          But, that's just my opinion... I have no data to back that up.

          I was reading McConnell's books, like "Code Complete" long before I
          had ever heard of XP, so maybe I am biased? I have read most of the
          XP books, and have been on two "XP" teams, but I value McConnell's
          philosophy on development just as much as Beck or Jeffries'.

          later...
          jim
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
            Around Friday, February 01, 2002, 1:27:59 PM, jim_mcfarland wrote:

            > I was reading McConnell's books, like "Code Complete" long before I
            > had ever heard of XP, so maybe I am biased? I have read most of the
            > XP books, and have been on two "XP" teams, but I value McConnell's
            > philosophy on development just as much as Beck or Jeffries'.

            I value his philosophy as much as Beck's. Like any rational man, I
            value my own most highly. ;->

            it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
          • Laurent Bossavit
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
              > From my experience clients become deaf when they hear the word
              > extreme.

              Maybe the first thing they need to get fixed is this kind of
              selective defect of their perceptual systems, not their software
              development process.

              I know... the XP mindset is also about healing defective perceptual
              systems. But how are you making the diagnosis without in fact using
              one of these words ?

              -[Morendil]-
              On a clear disk you can seek forever