Re: XP and McConnel

  • kevinbsmith
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "haalis" wrote:
      > I have a question about xp.
      > 1.What activities does xp have who covers McConnels estimation
      > with function points, riskmanagment, classic mistakes and best
      > practises.
      (snip)

      We seem to be getting quite a few of these "What is XP?" and "How
      does XP compare to McConnell?" questions these days. I suspect at
      least some of them relate to academic assignments.

      Perhaps we should create a Wiki page that addresses these specific
      issues, so the answer to any such posting could be: Go look at xyz.

      Just a thought.

      Kevin
    • banshee858
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
        Is McConnell the same Steve McConnell who wrote Rapid Development?
        If so, he and Kent Beck seem to be required reading universities
        today.
      • Wyatt Sutherland
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
          It's in the name.

          For those who appreciate a simple "light weight" approach, the XP name
          probably means very little (though personally I like XP). For that matter
          XP could be called CP "Contemporary Process." ;-)

          When I introduce clients to XP I go to extremes avoiding the word extreme
          and use agile.

          From my experience clients become deaf when they hear the word extreme.
          From their perspective they understand all that there is to know about XP
          and interject false notions before you can deliver the message.

          Therefore I structure process management, expectation/participation and role
          conversations toward "client" benefits in the "way we do it...why it
          works...how it's done" delivery...let them mull it over and upon the next
          visit[s] gradually use the words agile and extreme. Hopefully by then
          you've won their trust.

          It's unfortunate, but you do what you've got to do until XP becomes more
          mainstream. IMO.

          This has worked for me...though I digress from the original #6 question.

          Wyatt

          > From: "haalis" <haalis@...>
          > Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 11:19:21 -0000
          > To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [XP] XP and McConnel
          >
          > 6. What is the negative sides of xp?
        • jim_mcfarland
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
            --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "banshee858" <carlton.nettleton@d...>
            wrote:
            > Is McConnell the same Steve McConnell who wrote Rapid Development?
            > If so, he and Kent Beck seem to be required reading universities
            > today.

            Yes, I think that everyone is referring to Steve McConnell. My two
            cents is that McConnell's books/methods and XP are only in conflict
            if you always do things "by the book". 8-) Since all projects and
            people are different, and neither McConnell's approach or XP is a one
            size fits all solution, combining ideas from both would seem to be
            applicable on more projects that either one on its own would be.
            But, that's just my opinion... I have no data to back that up.

            I was reading McConnell's books, like "Code Complete" long before I
            had ever heard of XP, so maybe I am biased? I have read most of the
            XP books, and have been on two "XP" teams, but I value McConnell's
            philosophy on development just as much as Beck or Jeffries'.

            later...
            jim
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
              Around Friday, February 01, 2002, 1:27:59 PM, jim_mcfarland wrote:

              > I was reading McConnell's books, like "Code Complete" long before I
              > had ever heard of XP, so maybe I am biased? I have read most of the
              > XP books, and have been on two "XP" teams, but I value McConnell's
              > philosophy on development just as much as Beck or Jeffries'.

              I value his philosophy as much as Beck's. Like any rational man, I
              value my own most highly. ;->

              it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
            • Laurent Bossavit
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                > From my experience clients become deaf when they hear the word
                > extreme.

                Maybe the first thing they need to get fixed is this kind of
                selective defect of their perceptual systems, not their software
                development process.

                I know... the XP mindset is also about healing defective perceptual
                systems. But how are you making the diagnosis without in fact using
                one of these words ?

                -[Morendil]-
                On a clear disk you can seek forever