Re: [XP] XP and McConnell

    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 1, 2002
      Around Friday, February 01, 2002, 7:00:07 AM, Scott W. Ambler wrote:

      >> 3.How is it possible to have a perpective of the whole project,
      >> without the usual design diagrams.

      > Three techniques: Communication, communication, and communication.

      Yes. You forgot communication, however.

      > You might find http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/agileModelingXP.htm to be
      > of interest.

      This is a bit too much like offering an alcoholic one for the road.

      Note: Scott's own approach to modeling can be and usually is very
      lightweight. Read with /extreme/ attention to his notions of doing the
      least possible, simplest possible models, and much less attention to
      the many advanced options that you /may/ need. Scott offers many
      things you might need: it's best to wait to see if you do need them.

      Start small. Stop soon. Whiteboard, pencil and paper, yes. Much more
      ... wait and see.

      Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself.
      (I am large, I contain multitudes.) --Walt Whitman
    • Phlip
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 21, 2002
        Dinwiddie, George sez:
        > Phlip,
        >
        > I'm not trying to be difficult, but I still have problems with the
        > choices. My project is buggy and fossilized, even though it's all
        > new development. By that criteria I consider it failed. But I cannot
        > say that it's not delivering value. It's in use and it's supporting
        > work that probably not be done without it.

        If you disagree with the robustness or design, then your project might not be
        Test-Infected, and might not use Simple Design. Subtract those two Practices
        (and any other you feel don't qualify). If you have 8 or more (according to
        the poll), you are "XP-like".

        8 is 3/4ths of 12, so we are leaving room for projects that can't do pure XP
        due to distance or hard heads.

        Similarily, if you are not following Some Other Process to its letter, then
        you are Code-n-Fix.

        If you are delivering value, you ought to pick one of the three subsets - XP
        or XP-like, Brand X, or Code-n-Fix.

        The polls are all here:

        Phlip
        http://www.greencheese.org/SkeletonCrew
        -- The first few lines of code must "hook" the
        computer, and make it "care" about the program --