Re: [XP] XP and McConnell

  • Scott W. Ambler
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 1, 2002
      Answering some questions...

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "haalis" <haalis@...>
      To: <extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 6:19 AM
      Subject: [XP] XP and McConnel

      <snip>
      > 2.XP tries to flatten the change curve, because its expensive to make
      > changes further out in the project. If you try to minimize change
      > during the project, isnt it possible to design an plan it, before you
      > start. How is the project then evolutionary?

      XP isn't trying to minimize change, it accepts that change happens (e.g.
      Embrace Change) and provides practices that help you to reduce/flatten the
      cost of dealing with change.

      > 3.How is it possible to have a perpective of the whole project,
      > without the usual design diagrams.

      Three techniques: Communication, communication, and communication.

      You might find http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/agileModelingXP.htm to be
      of interest.

      <snip>

      Hope I've helped.

      - Scott
      Scott W. Ambler scott.ambler@...
      President, Ronin International, Inc.
      http://www.ronin-intl.com/scottAmbler.htm
    • Phlip
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 21, 2002
        Dinwiddie, George sez:
        > Phlip,
        >
        > I'm not trying to be difficult, but I still have problems with the
        > choices. My project is buggy and fossilized, even though it's all
        > new development. By that criteria I consider it failed. But I cannot
        > say that it's not delivering value. It's in use and it's supporting
        > work that probably not be done without it.

        If you disagree with the robustness or design, then your project might not be
        Test-Infected, and might not use Simple Design. Subtract those two Practices
        (and any other you feel don't qualify). If you have 8 or more (according to
        the poll), you are "XP-like".

        8 is 3/4ths of 12, so we are leaving room for projects that can't do pure XP
        due to distance or hard heads.

        Similarily, if you are not following Some Other Process to its letter, then
        you are Code-n-Fix.

        If you are delivering value, you ought to pick one of the three subsets - XP
        or XP-like, Brand X, or Code-n-Fix.

        The polls are all here:

        Phlip
        http://www.greencheese.org/SkeletonCrew
        -- The first few lines of code must "hook" the
        computer, and make it "care" about the program --