XP and McConnel

  • haalis
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hi

      I have a question about xp.
      1.What activities does xp have who covers McConnels estimation with
      function points, riskmanagment, classic mistakes and best practises.
      These different tools are very powerful, how is it possible that xp
      can be moore successful than mcconnels heavy weight methodologies?
      2.XP tries to flatten the change curve, because its expensive to make
      changes further out in the project. If you try to minimize change
      during the project, isnt it possible to design an plan it, before you
      start. How is the project then evolutionary?
      3.How is it possible to have a perpective of the whole project,
      without the usual design diagrams.
      4.How does an xp project give an estimate?
      5.Does an systemdevelopers job description in an xp project change,
      compared with its jobdescription in another project?Because an
      systemdesigner makes diagrams ,does dokumentation and so. Does these
      tasks disappear in an xp project?
      6. What is the negative sides of xp?
      7.Would it be possible to unite mcconnels heavy weight methodologies
      with xp lightweight methodology into one methodology?By matchin its
      negative sides and positive?Wouldent this be a stronger development
      tool?
      8.What is the negative sides of mcconnels methodologies+

      Thanks:)
      best regards haalis
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
        Around Friday, February 01, 2002, 6:19:21 AM, haalis wrote:

        > I have a question about xp.

        Which XP books have you read so far? Which web sites?

        > 1.What activities does xp have who covers McConnels estimation with
        > function points, riskmanagment, classic mistakes and best practises.

        Estimation in XP is done at a finer grain than function points. There
        is no incompatibility between XP and most of McConnell's advice,
        although he seems to recommend far heavier effort than seems to us to
        be needed for most projects.

        > These different tools are very powerful, how is it possible that xp
        > can be moore successful than mcconnels heavy weight methodologies?

        XP projects are done by close-knit teams working intimately together
        with someone who really understands the requirements. This is what
        gives the opportunity for higher performance with less ritual.

        > 2.XP tries to flatten the change curve, because its expensive to make
        > changes further out in the project. If you try to minimize change
        > during the project, isnt it possible to design an plan it, before you
        > start. How is the project then evolutionary?

        XP /does not/ try to minimize change: it expects and embraces change.
        It works in such a way as to make the cost of change as low as
        possible, and it measures progress in such a way as to make the goal
        provider aware of the cost of the changes requested.

        > 3.How is it possible to have a perpective of the whole project,
        > without the usual design diagrams.

        If you need the diagrams, draw them in some inexpensive way. If you
        don't need them, don't draw them.

        > 4.How does an xp project give an estimate?

        Easily and frequently. Read about Release Planning, Iteration
        Planning, Planning Game, Estimation, ...

        > 5.Does an systemdevelopers job description in an xp project change,
        > compared with its jobdescription in another project?Because an
        > systemdesigner makes diagrams ,does dokumentation and so. Does these
        > tasks disappear in an xp project?

        Many of them do. XP does not recommend designers who do not program,
        nor programmers who do not design.

        > 6. What is the negative sides of xp?

        It only works if you do it.

        > 7.Would it be possible to unite mcconnels heavy weight methodologies
        > with xp lightweight methodology into one methodology?By matchin its
        > negative sides and positive?Wouldent this be a stronger development
        > tool?

        It would be possible. It would be like building your house the same
        way you would build a skyscraper: it would cost a fortune, take
        forever, and you would still have no place to park.

        > 8.What is the negative sides of mcconnels methodologies+

        Essentially everything he recommends is suitable for /some/ project.
        He seems to think that more process is good. We think that you should
        use less process rather than more.

        McConnell's approach and XP's are different in philosophy. His
        techniques are mostly good but seem to address projects that do not
        have close contact with customers, do not even have close contact
        between all the programmers, and go on for a long time.

        If you like the products McConnell's methods have produced, and you
        like writing lots of things down, and you like shipping software
        infrequently, you might like his methods. If you like working closely
        with other people and shipping software every two weeks, you might
        like XP.

        If you have fifty people on your project, you might like his methods.
        If you have five or ten or fifteen, all in one location, his methods
        are probably too much.

        But there are /many/ good ideas in his books. Not all of them apply
        to everyone. XP doesn't apply to everyone either.

        FEAR = Fantasy Experienced As Reality
      • kevinbsmith
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "haalis" wrote:
          > I have a question about xp.
          > 1.What activities does xp have who covers McConnels estimation
          > with function points, riskmanagment, classic mistakes and best
          > practises.
          (snip)

          We seem to be getting quite a few of these "What is XP?" and "How
          does XP compare to McConnell?" questions these days. I suspect at
          least some of them relate to academic assignments.

          Perhaps we should create a Wiki page that addresses these specific
          issues, so the answer to any such posting could be: Go look at xyz.

          Just a thought.

          Kevin
        • banshee858
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
            Is McConnell the same Steve McConnell who wrote Rapid Development?
            If so, he and Kent Beck seem to be required reading universities
            today.
          • Wyatt Sutherland
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
              It's in the name.

              For those who appreciate a simple "light weight" approach, the XP name
              probably means very little (though personally I like XP). For that matter
              XP could be called CP "Contemporary Process." ;-)

              When I introduce clients to XP I go to extremes avoiding the word extreme
              and use agile.

              From my experience clients become deaf when they hear the word extreme.
              From their perspective they understand all that there is to know about XP
              and interject false notions before you can deliver the message.

              Therefore I structure process management, expectation/participation and role
              conversations toward "client" benefits in the "way we do it...why it
              works...how it's done" delivery...let them mull it over and upon the next
              visit[s] gradually use the words agile and extreme. Hopefully by then
              you've won their trust.

              It's unfortunate, but you do what you've got to do until XP becomes more
              mainstream. IMO.

              This has worked for me...though I digress from the original #6 question.

              Wyatt

              > From: "haalis" <haalis@...>
              > Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 11:19:21 -0000
              > To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [XP] XP and McConnel
              >
              > 6. What is the negative sides of xp?
            • jim_mcfarland
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "banshee858" <carlton.nettleton@d...>
                wrote:
                > Is McConnell the same Steve McConnell who wrote Rapid Development?
                > If so, he and Kent Beck seem to be required reading universities
                > today.

                Yes, I think that everyone is referring to Steve McConnell. My two
                cents is that McConnell's books/methods and XP are only in conflict
                if you always do things "by the book". 8-) Since all projects and
                people are different, and neither McConnell's approach or XP is a one
                size fits all solution, combining ideas from both would seem to be
                applicable on more projects that either one on its own would be.
                But, that's just my opinion... I have no data to back that up.

                I was reading McConnell's books, like "Code Complete" long before I
                had ever heard of XP, so maybe I am biased? I have read most of the
                XP books, and have been on two "XP" teams, but I value McConnell's
                philosophy on development just as much as Beck or Jeffries'.

                later...
                jim
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                  Around Friday, February 01, 2002, 1:27:59 PM, jim_mcfarland wrote:

                  > I was reading McConnell's books, like "Code Complete" long before I
                  > had ever heard of XP, so maybe I am biased? I have read most of the
                  > XP books, and have been on two "XP" teams, but I value McConnell's
                  > philosophy on development just as much as Beck or Jeffries'.

                  I value his philosophy as much as Beck's. Like any rational man, I
                  value my own most highly. ;->

                  it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
                • Laurent Bossavit
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                    > From my experience clients become deaf when they hear the word
                    > extreme.

                    Maybe the first thing they need to get fixed is this kind of
                    selective defect of their perceptual systems, not their software
                    development process.

                    I know... the XP mindset is also about healing defective perceptual
                    systems. But how are you making the diagnosis without in fact using
                    one of these words ?

                    -[Morendil]-
                    On a clear disk you can seek forever