Re: XP and "costing" projects (Re: [XP] RE: opportunities in South Africa)

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2002
      > That is the old paradigm, where "a project" is defined as tracing a
      > path through design space between two predetermined points

      Or to put things more simply : in XP, we are no longer striving to
      move *toward* a definite solution. Rather, we are efficiently moving
      *away from* an initial problem. (We stop when there no longer is a
      problem big enough to keep us moving.)

      This is the same shift in viewpoint that Darwin achieved to such
      immense benefit and that proved (and still proves) so hard to accept
      for the previous intellectual tradition - evolution is not a process
      that moves *toward* a definite goal (Man, of course) but rather one
      that moves *away from* an initially lifeless world.

      -[Morendil]-
      Basic programmers don't die, they gosub and never return.