RE: [XP] Please don't feed the trolls

  • Dinwiddie, George
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
      Phlip noted:
      > However, there are even sicker pups out there who devote all
      > their waking
      > hours to pestering some topic-oriented newsgroup that their
      > topic has no
      > merit and that only the sick pup is smart enough to see this.

      I once thought it possible to take some simple AI program and
      train it to argue with the trolls, a la Eliza. Then, it dawned
      on me that, judging from what I saw in Usenet, it was highly
      likely that someone had already done this. The penultimate
      realization was that when the time for an invention has come,
      there is generally multiple independent instances and therefore
      most of the traffic on usenet was likely due to such programs
      debating each other. How else can you explain the enormous
      energy given to conversations that have no content?

      - George
    • dbrady@es.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002

        How do you feel about conversations that have no content?

        ;-)

        -dB
        --
        David Brady
        dbrady@...
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
          > I once thought it possible to take some simple AI program and
          > train it to argue with the trolls, a la Eliza. Then, it dawned
          > on me that, judging from what I saw in Usenet, it was highly
          > likely that someone had already done this. The penultimate

          Google search for Mark V Chaney.

          Regards,

          Rob

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
            > Google search for Mark V Chaney.

            If I did, would I find that's a pun for "Markov Chain"?

            --
            Phlip
            http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?RatAndTuyen
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
              > > I once thought it possible to take some simple AI program and
              > > train it to argue with the trolls, a la Eliza. Then, it dawned
              > > on me that, judging from what I saw in Usenet, it was highly
              > > likely that someone had already done this. The penultimate
              >
              > Google search for Mark V Chaney.

              I wrote one of those once. From the alg in an old SciAm issue. Pretty fun.
            • Robert Sartin
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
                --- Phlip <pplumlee@...> wrote:
                > > Google search for Mark V Chaney.
                >
                > If I did, would I find that's a pun for "Markov Chain"?

                Obnoxious answer:

                Well, that would be giving the answer, wouldn't it? Explore, learn;
                it's good for you.

                Real answer:

                And that there's an implementation. And if you look hard enough, you
                might find that it has been used in flame wars on Usenet.

                Regards,

                Rob

                http://auctions.yahoo.com
              • Dinwiddie, George
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
                  Ah, is that the implementation of Archim^h^h^h^h^h^h (better not mention the
                  name of this place will show up in a Google search).

                • Phlip
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
                    > Ah, is that the implementation of Archim^h^h^h^h^h^h (better not mention
                    > the name of this place will show up in a Google search).

                    Since when did Google ever hit Yahoo Groups correctly??

                    --
                    Phlip
                    http://www.greencheese.org/AndNowaNitelyLitelyUrbanOne
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
                      >Phlip <pplumlee@c...> wrote:
                      >Ah, is that the implementation of Archim^h^h^h^h^h^h (better not
                      >mention

                      Don't bother "the troll" was only interesting in discussion
                      not annoyance.

                      God bless
                    • Phlip
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
                        > > However, there are even sicker pups out there who devote all
                        > > their waking
                        > > hours to pestering some topic-oriented newsgroup that their
                        > > topic has no
                        > > merit and that only the sick pup is smart enough to see this.

                        Remember I don't mean this forum - subscribing to a list server takes a
                        little more dedication than a troll wants to have.

                        Sadly, I need to >repeat< my request that the trolls not be fed.

                        Please please please make light not heat, guys!

                        --
                        Phlip
                        http://flea.sourceforge.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
                          Hi Phlip,

                          > Sadly, I need to >repeat< my request that the trolls not be fed.

                          I don't understand why you are making this request. I can see that it
                          is important to you, so I want to understand. Are there trolls here?
                          Are we feeding them? Can you give examples?

                          Dale
                        • Phlip
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
                            dhemeryy sez:
                            > Hi Phlip,
                            >
                            > > Sadly, I need to >repeat< my request that the trolls not be fed.
                            >
                            > I don't understand why you are making this request. I can see that it
                            > is important to you, so I want to understand. Are there trolls here?
                            > Are we feeding them? Can you give examples?

                            Sorry. Kay Pentecost, on news:comp.software.extreme-programming, seems to
                            have done it for me. Props for her latest post there.

                            Tho' I have such trouble simulating the mind of a T. that I don't know if
                            what Kay offered will go down as food or poison. Or if the T's will leave (or
                            actually start learning).

                            One can always hope...

                            --
                            Phlip
                            http://www.greencheese.org/LucidScheming
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
                              > Sorry. Kay Pentecost, on news:comp.software.extreme-programming, seems
                              > to have done it for me. Props for her latest post there.

                              I don't usually bother to read the newsgroup. I can't for the life of
                              me figure out why you guys bother; I actually felt admirative that
                              you could have time for useful work and *still* read the mailing list
                              on a regular basis, and upon discovering that y'all are in fact
                              *actively responding* on c.s.xp, I wondered whether someone had
                              finally found *some* way of packing more than 24 hours in a single
                              day.

                              But it obviously does have its good moments. Thanks for pointing one
                              out.

                              -[Morendil]-
                              Tomorrow will be canceled due to lack of interest.