Please don't feed the trolls

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2002
      eXtremos:

      Some people treat online fora as a form of mental masturbation, of the public
      and widely exhibitionist kind.

      I apologize for this, and will try not to do it again.

      However, there are even sicker pups out there who devote all their waking
      hours to pestering some topic-oriented newsgroup that their topic has no
      merit and that only the sick pup is smart enough to see this.

      sci.math has someone who has claimed for many years he can solve Fermat's
      Last Theorem using high-school algebra. Eternally repeating bogus threads
      debating creationism eat the philosophy & physics newsgroups alive. Some
      idiot once actually made comp.lang.c++ argue 20 times a day for 16 months
      that assembler was better than C++. comp.object has characters who claim that
      tables of data somehow beat OO, and that BDUF is the One True Path to
      holistic designs.

      The solution to this psychological parasitism is to let the trolls discuss
      things with themselves - and nobody else - until they get finally bored.

      Please please please give this a try. Their idiot prattle means nothing to
      newbies trying to use those groups to actually learn something, but the
      prattle gets instant credit when the group's leaders reply.

      Again, please please please give this shit the cold shoulder that we would
      doubtless give it in real life.

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.greencheese.org/LucidScheming