Work week

  • Glew, Andy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
      > > I've never heard of a company requiring that new hires sign a
      > > contract to work more than 40 hours per week. You seem to
      > > imply that they exist, and in fact they are the norm in your region.

      Not quite an employment contract,
      but there was, a few years ago,
      a kerfuffle in various Electronic Engineering
      publications (IEEE and EE Times, iirc)
      about government contractors in the
      NYC area signing contracts with the federal
      government that promised
      (a) X number of man-hours of work
      (b) a fixed delivery date
      where the company had Y employees,
      and was committed to NOT hiring any more,
      where X/Y was greater than 50 or 60 hours per week:
      i.e. where the company was signing contracts
      with its customers that assumed that its employees
      were working significantly more than 40 hours/week
      over a long time, like 2-3 years, not just in crunch mode.

      It was an issue because engineers who refused to
      work the long hours were being fired.

      I never heard the final outcome of this;
      my vague recollection is that the employees lost.

      ---

      The average American work week is 46 hours.
      http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/040201.html

      I've seen such statistics in many newspaper articles,
      usually with comments such as "The average American
      now works more hours that the average Japanese".
      The Arianna article was the first reference I encountered.

      ---

      http://205.252.23.176/features/2001/12/12/1.html

      TomPaine.com: In a recent issue of The New Yorker,
      Newt Gingrich is quoted in giving advice to some interns
      in Washington. He tells them to "dream big," and
      "work hard." And this is what he says about working hard:
      "If you work 80 hours a week, that's probably about right.
      If you work 60, that's barely marginal."
    • dhemeryy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
        Hi Andy,

        > I never heard the final outcome of this;
        > my vague recollection is that the employees lost.

        I'll bet that everyone lost.

        Dale