Re: 80 hours solo = ?? hours with PP (Re: Productive 80 hour week - was Re: [XP] Re: Weaknesses of XP)

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 1, 2002
      drawstho@... sez:
      > I actually think we are in violent agreement. All I was saying was that if
      > food and toys are part of the XP process, and your are working on a project
      > that is using the XP process (and, presumably, the client knows this), then
      > the client should pay for the food and toy. And for the time to eat and
      > play... it's an implicit part of the contract.

      And if they don't provide the snacks and toys, the Customer is onsite, so you
      can shoot her or him with your nerf gun.

      --
      Phlip phlip_cpp@...
      http://flea.sourceforge.net
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 3, 2002
        Hi,

        I had a client once who were in a bit of a pickle. I was writing
        computer-telephony-integration systems for them using C++ on AIX, and the
        guy next to me was an Oracle DBA working on an international catalog pricing
        system written in VB with an Oracle back-end. Naturally we talked a lot
        about our respective systems, me about how cool mine was, and he about how
        awful his was.

        Anyway, he left, because he hated the system. The client asked me to work on
        it, because I was the only one left with any knowledge of the system. I knew
        VB, but wasn't hot with Oracle. The problem was, the VB was shocking, and
        had to go.

        Because this was basically a huge batch processing system I suggested that
        the client rebuild it in PL/SQL. They agreed, and asked me to do it, the
        sticky point was that all I knew about PL/SQL was how to spell it. They
        agreed that they would pay me, at full rates, for three weeks, whilst I
        'played around' and learnt PL/SQL. Two weeks into that period I started
        working on the 'real' system, and so had a good starting point when the
        project was initiated.

        I think that the reason they took this path was because I was honest with
        them. I had suggested PL/SQL, but told them that I couldn't do it, so they
        would have to find someone else. They asked how long it would take to learn
        it, and would I consider doing so, at my cost. I told them that I had no
        incentive, as I had plenty of work available with my existing skills. It
        didn't take them long to decide to effectively pay for my training. They
        could easily have hired a developer, and kept me on as a consultant, working
        on other systems for them at the same time (they had plenty of work for me).

        Interesting system too, but that's another story.

        So, the moral of the story, be honest, do good work, and charge indecently
        for it ;-)

        Bryan

        b r y a n d o l l e r y | c e o
        c h a o s e n g i n e e r s
        +64 (0)21 330607
        http://www.ChaosEngineers.co.nz

        The difference between me and the other surrealists is that I'm a
        surrealist.
        - Dali