RE: [XP] Re: Weaknesses of XP

  • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
    Message 1 of 144 , Jan 1, 2002
      Bryan:
      >This is a test of a
      >team's ability to work together. Possibly, the only test of a team's
      ability
      >to work together under pressure is for it to try to work together under
      >pressure.

      But who is going to perform the test? On the true teams I have been a part
      of, no one individual was is in charge, the team was. So by definition if
      there is someone cutting the time in half without team buy-in there isn't a
      team.

      Best,
      Bill
    • Bryan Dollery
      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 4, 2002
        Hiya,

        I ran a project a couple of years ago. Whilst interviewing contractors we
        ensured that we mentioned that this project was on a tight schedule, and
        that it may be necessary, towards the end, to do some overtime. These were
        contractors, and they'd get paid for the hours they work, and as we were
        being so reasonable (admitting it up front) we thought that they'd not have
        a problem with it.

        Just about everyone we hired, and we only hired the best, said that they had
        real problems with this, but we hired them anyway, because they were so
        good. Ultimately, OT wasn't necessary, because we finished the project
        on-time, and on budget, using agile techniques (it wasn't XP, but it was
        good in that situation).

        Everyone stayed focused, and worked hard, partially because they didn't want
        to do overtime.

        I think that the problem here was cultural. I have recently come to
        understand that highly-paid kiwis (New Zealanders) want to have time to
        enjoy their lives, not piss around in work. I have a friend, who is a senior
        doctor at a local emergency department, who tells me that at the end of a
        shift the kiwi doctors just leave, even if they're in the middle of a case
        (he doesn't, he's not a kiwi).

        I come from England, and worked for a long while in London, which is a big
        commercial city like New York, Chicago, or Hong Kong. There you work until
        you drop, then you go and rest so that you can work some more the next day.
        For five years I only took Christmas week off, no other holidays, at all.

        Naturally, I emigrated to New Zealand, and now I've had the last three
        months off (although that isn't out of choice).

        Bryan

        b r y a n d o l l e r y | c e o
        c h a o s e n g i n e e r s
        +64 (0)21 330607
        http://www.ChaosEngineers.co.nz

        The difference between me and the other surrealists is that I'm a
        surrealist.
        - Dali