Re: [XP] Re: Teams Abandoning Practices was Weaknesses of XP

  • C. Keith Ray
    Message 1 of 144 , Jan 1, 2002
      on 1/1/02 2:16 AM, Phlip at pplumlee@... wrote:

      > B> /XP Explained Embrace Change/ has a chart of practices linked by arrows.
      > If you drop a practice, you must do something for every practice that the
      > dropped one sent an arrow to. You must add more Process to your daily routine
      > to support these practices.
      >
      > If you dropped PairProgramming, you would need to introduce Code Reviews to
      > support the Incremental Design (YAGNI) practice.
      >
      > Code Reviews are boring as hell. Therefor you must do them often enough to
      > work. Therefor you must budget a lot of time for them.
      >
      > Why didn't you just stick with pairing?

      My team is no longer pairing, because 2 out of 3 are working at home...

      Since 1 of the 3 is not fluent in English, pairing in person is difficult
      because I can't get him to tell me what he is thinking... I expect that
      would be even harder when trying to do remote pairing.

      So we look at each others' coding often, informally, and refactor and send
      feedback to each other. We still have the other 12 practices.

      At Apple, my team did this formally as "asynchronous code reviews" -- check
      your un-reviewed code into a branch, another guy reviews it when he gets
      around to it, once it is reviewed (or fixed and re-reviewed), move it from
      the branch to the mainline.

      This is VERY SLOW compared to pair programming, but not as much a waste of
      man-hours as face-to-face review meetings.
    • Bryan Dollery
      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 4, 2002
        Hiya,

        I ran a project a couple of years ago. Whilst interviewing contractors we
        ensured that we mentioned that this project was on a tight schedule, and
        that it may be necessary, towards the end, to do some overtime. These were
        contractors, and they'd get paid for the hours they work, and as we were
        being so reasonable (admitting it up front) we thought that they'd not have
        a problem with it.

        Just about everyone we hired, and we only hired the best, said that they had
        real problems with this, but we hired them anyway, because they were so
        good. Ultimately, OT wasn't necessary, because we finished the project
        on-time, and on budget, using agile techniques (it wasn't XP, but it was
        good in that situation).

        Everyone stayed focused, and worked hard, partially because they didn't want
        to do overtime.

        I think that the problem here was cultural. I have recently come to
        understand that highly-paid kiwis (New Zealanders) want to have time to
        enjoy their lives, not piss around in work. I have a friend, who is a senior
        doctor at a local emergency department, who tells me that at the end of a
        shift the kiwi doctors just leave, even if they're in the middle of a case
        (he doesn't, he's not a kiwi).

        I come from England, and worked for a long while in London, which is a big
        commercial city like New York, Chicago, or Hong Kong. There you work until
        you drop, then you go and rest so that you can work some more the next day.
        For five years I only took Christmas week off, no other holidays, at all.

        Naturally, I emigrated to New Zealand, and now I've had the last three
        months off (although that isn't out of choice).

        Bryan

        b r y a n d o l l e r y | c e o
        c h a o s e n g i n e e r s
        +64 (0)21 330607
        http://www.ChaosEngineers.co.nz

        The difference between me and the other surrealists is that I'm a
        surrealist.
        - Dali