Re: Velocity Experiment [80 hours solo = ?? hours with PP (Re: Productive 80 hour week - was Re: [XP] Re: Weaknesses of XP)]

    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2002
      Around Tuesday, January 01, 2002, 6:07:08 AM, wecaputo@... wrote:

      > First off

      Have you no f5g life? Do you know what time it is???

      it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2002
        Around Tuesday, January 01, 2002, 6:07:08 AM, wecaputo@... wrote:

        > First off this example has been hypothetical, so it assumed that there is
        > something, but in general, if I revise an estimate, its because I have
        > reason to in the situation based on my experience with the stories and the
        > system being built.

        Yes. One typical revision will be because with that class of story we
        forgot something that has to be done. (Ohh, we forgot we have to
        refactor the database for these.)

        Another occurs when refactoring or tool-making makes something
        formerly difficult really easy. My favorite example of that was when
        George announced at one planning meeting that he would do all the rest
        (25 or something) of things that he could formerly do a few of per
        iteration.

        The basic idea, of course, is that these stories are different in
        proportion to the others, from what we thought (or from what they
        actually were). In that case, it makes sense to adjust them rather
        than hope that velocity will handle it, because ... velocity won't
        handle it very well.

        Sigs are like I Ching or Tarot. They don't mean anything,
        but sometimes if you think about them you'll get a useful idea.
      • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2002
          Yeah, I was up late playing Empire Earth, what was your excuse??

          Ron Jeffries
          <ronjeffries@acm. To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
          org> cc:
          Subject: Re: Velocity Experiment [80 hours solo = ?? hours with PP (Re: Productive 80
          01/01/2002 05:17 hour week - was Re: [XP] Re: Weaknesses of XP)]
          AM
          Please respond to
          extremeprogrammin

          wrote:

          > First off

          Have you no f5g life? Do you know what time it is???

          it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca

          ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

        • Laurent Bossavit
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 1, 2002
            > Start the experiment at 40 hours, and go up to 50 and then 60, and it
            > would be a fairer experiment, although still not a humane one.

            ...but wait... why *start* at 40 ? You'd be missing a third of the
            measurable curve outright. If this is to be a proper experiment, you
            should insist on starting measurement at 0 hour weeks, and moving up
            to 168.
            -[Morendil]-
            Your email has been returned due to insufficient voltage.
          • dhemeryy
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 1, 2002
              Hi Bill,

              > Now Dale, perhaps you can answer these questions for me:

              Actually, I can't. Perhaps the Dale you imagined can answer them.

              Dale
            • dhemeryy
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 1, 2002
                Hi Bill,

                > >Perhaps you're basing your decision on information you
                > >haven't told me about. What's the information?
                >
                > First off this example has been hypothetical, so it assumed that
                > there is something, but in general, if I revise an estimate, its
                > because I have reason to in the situation based on my experience
                > with the stories and the system being built.

                Okay. That's good enough for me.

                Dale