Re: [XP] New essay: Do the simple thing, even when it hurts

  • Doug Philips
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2001
      "kevinbsmith" <kevinxp@...> indited:

      >I've just posted a new essay on my website:
      > http://www.qualitycode.com/thoughts/thought6.html

      Interesting. "Beware of those who like to solve complex problems, for they
      will create them if need be."-- (Paraphrased from <I can't remember
      anymore.>).

      I'm guilty as charged.

      One of the things XP is neutral on is "learning new things." I think one of
      the things you're essay indicates, if I may read between the lines, is that
      we like to learn how to do new things. So it is tempting to write an XML
      parser if you've never done anything like that before. The desire/allure of
      that opportunity is directly at odds with the Simplest Possible Thing. XP
      depends on self-awareness and self-monitoring... I'm doing this because I
      might need it later. Oh, oops, don't need it now, won't do it now. But I've
      never done something like that before and I want to do that...

      -Doug

    • kevinbsmith
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2001
        --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Doug Philips" <dgou@h...> wrote:
        > One of the things XP is neutral on is "learning new things."
        > I think one of the things you're essay indicates, if I may
        > read between the lines, is that we like to learn how to do
        > new things.

        Actually, in the specific case I wrote about, that wasn't a
        factor. I didn't want to do XML; I really thought it was the
        right thing to do, even though it wasn't the simplest.

        I've certainly seen many people go for the "cool" solution,
        and have even done so myself sometimes. Fortunately, it's not
        one of my own major vices.

        > So it is tempting to write an XML parser if you've never
        > done anything like that before.

        And, just to be clear, I didn't write a parser. I hooked up
        my code to call the built-in Java XML parser. Which was still
        the wrong thing to do, but less wrong than rolling my own
        would have been.

        Thanks for your comments!

        Kevin
      • Laurent Bossavit
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
          > One of the things XP is neutral on is "learning new things."

          Not ! (Or if it is, that needs to be fixed.)

          -[Morendil]-
          Please stand by for total destruction of your planet.