Social aspects of XP

  • Chris Bitmead
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2000
      How does it "feel" to do pair programming? I mean through the day when I
      feel I need to "back-off" and take a break, I might say, go and read my
      email or otherwise do something not productive, but somehow the mind
      signals that it needs a rest. How does this work in pair programming?
      You don't rest? You agree when to rest? What if you both want to break
      and read your email? What if only one wants to break? Do you both have a
      computer it's just that you only use one whilst programming?
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 7:18 AM
        At 04:03 PM 3/30/2000 +1000, you wrote:
        >How does it "feel" to do pair programming? I mean through the day when I
        >feel I need to "back-off" and take a break, I might say, go and read my
        >email or otherwise do something not productive, but somehow the mind
        >signals that it needs a rest. How does this work in pair programming?
        >You don't rest? You agree when to rest? What if you both want to break
        >and read your email? What if only one wants to break? Do you both have a
        >computer it's just that you only use one whilst programming?

        I don't remember ever seeing someone object strongly if their partner said
        "let's take a break". Sometimes they'll say "let's just finish this", and
        the thing is to take a few minutes and do so, unless you're in serious
        bio-break mode, in which case the polite thing to do is to take the break.

        It's best to have lots of computers, at least one per person plus one for
        integrating, and one for testing. More computers is always good. Faster,
        too. ;->

      • David Brady
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 7:19 AM
          > How does it "feel" to do pair programming? I mean through the
          > day when I
          > feel I need to "back-off" and take a break, I might say, go

          We have a programmer here who is famous for near OCD-like fixation on
          debugging a problem. It's gotten to the point that the rest of us have a
          saying, "Make sure you go to the bathroom before you ask Ray for help."

          For what it's worth, I have no trouble backing off and saying, "Let's take a
          break". But I also find that when I'm alone, I don't wait nearly as long to
          take that break; working with a partner has helped lengthen my attention
          span.

          -dB
          --
          David Brady
          dbrady@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 18 2:06 PM
            when I pair programmed, any partner was able to call a break.

            --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Chris Bitmead <chrisb@n...>