[XP] Re: Mapping Tests to Stories

  • Andy Glew
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 4:56 PM
      > During a recent discussion at the OT conference in England,
      > some of us were wondering about how to associate stories
      > with their corresponding functional tests. The Simplest Thing
      > might be to write the tests on the back of the story cards,
      > but that still doesn't ensure that they get executed. Then we
      > came up with a really neat idea, which is to _encode_ the tests
      > on the cards. Probably the easiest way to do this would be
      > to punch little holes in the story cards and then knock together
      > some kind of reader to see where there were spaces. I'll bet
      > you could do it with the new Lego Mindstorms. After that, all
      > you need to do is put together a hopper of some sort to manage
      > the cards and all your tests will just run automatically.
      >
      > We think that this is such a novel idea that we intend to patent
      > it as soon as we can afford a lawyer.

      Fortunately, the completely computer based, non-physical, version
      of this already exists: an issues database on computer, with links
      to tests, test browsers to select what tests to run, etc.

      Jacquard and Hollerith, eat your hearts out. (I was just in Washington,
      and got to see an original Jacquard loom.)