[XP] XP Strengths, References: 100 line function and No Documentation

  • Matthew M. Scilipoti
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2000

      I must admit, I have been skeptical about the minimalist approach to documentation.  But, while analyzing the 100 line function, I found myself tripping over his comments trying to follow the code.  I like the comments in the header.  I remember a discussion about commenting the “intent” rather than the “process”.  I feel this is a great example, because the individual lines of code are easily SelfDocmentingCode, it’s what they do as a whole that can be confusing.  His comments on the Intent of the code are invaluable in our refactoring, the individual line comments just get in the way.

      I also must admit that I am biased.  XP seems to be taking my weaknesses and either dismissing them, or, to my great delight, turning them into strengths.  I write comments about the intent of my code, however loath commenting throughout the method.  It makes it a pain to change the routine (came to this conclusion long before XP).  I work hard to get requirements from my customer, but we both ALWAYS seem to fall short.  I like to interact with others on most days and retreat to “my hole” for some serious heads down programming sometimes (a hybrid of PairProgramming).  There was no “acceptable” way to interact with others before these studies.  In the past, I have managed to interact through coaching.

      The point?  XP seems to be able to take the things we are already doing day in and day out and builds upon them.  The beauty is that it de-emphasizes the tasks that have always been a burr in our side.  I am not implying that we brush then under the carpet.  XP manages to either make them unnecessary, or proves that the amount of attention we were already giving them, WAS the required amount, even though others were telling us differently.

      If anyone is practicing XP in the Baltimore/Washington area, please contact me.

      Thank you for the continuing discussions,

      Matt Scilipoti

      mailto:MattS@...

      http://www.mominc.com/