[XP] Re: Automating Functional tests for the Web

  • Frank Westphal
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2000
      Maria wrote:

      > We are currently developing a web application using the XP method,
      > however there is little information on the process or method for
      > testing under the XP method.
      > Do you know of a process or tool we can use to automate functional
      > tests for a WEB Application? We have been looking at E-test and Astra
      > Quick Test, does any one have comments regarding these applications?
      > Or can you suggest others?

      We've developed a suite of intranet applications, and we did this:

      - Have a layer representing workflow or business processes, so that
      you can write most of your functional tests against this facade.

      - Make the mediating layer between the application facades and your
      dynamic server pages as thin as you can afford. That means really
      thin, so that you don't have to have extra tests for your servlets.

      - Have the dynamic aspects of your web pages output some trace info
      embedded into HTML comments that you can parse and check for in
      debug mode.

      - Don't try to compare raw HTML data streams. Actual and expected
      HTML data will likely differ, since your web designer is practicing
      collective ownership, too.

      - Adhere to the once and only once rule to code URLs, style sheets
      info, client-side scripts etc.

      - We've found the costs for testing JavaScript interactions not to
      be worth the risk. If you find a nice solution, please let me know.

      Frank