Re: [XP] XP Definition of software "Quality"

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2001
      > > usability:
      > > - understandability
      > > - learnability
      > > - operability
      > >
      > > efficiency:
      > > - time behavior
      > > - resource behavior
      > >
      > > maintainability:
      > > - analyzeability
      > > - changeability
      > > - stability
      > > - testability
      > >
      > > portability:
      > > - adaptability
      > > - installability
      > > - conformance
      > > - replaceability

      Every one of these "ility" words is an attempt to predict the future. When
      we install are we bug free? When we adapt are we bug free? When we replace
      are we bug free?

      "The best way to predict the future is to invent it" --Alan Kay

      --
      Phlip phlip_cpp@...
      http://flea.sourceforge.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2001
        While we're at it...how does XP stack up against 24 Quality attributes (in
        the authors opinion), as stated in "The Quality of Requirements in Extreme
        Programming" (http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2001/jun/duncan.asp).
        His conclusion:

        "Of the 24 quality attributes of a software specification, the XP process
        leads to higher points in nine attributes and lowers the score in two. The
        most noteworthy gains are in ambiguity and understandability, since the
        customer is always present to answer questions and clear up problems.
        Furthermore, since the customer is also responsible for developing test
        scenarios he or she will create more verifiable requirements. The discipline
        enforced by the XP process should also carry over into other areas of
        requirements engineering."

        The two areas of lower scoring are "Complete" and "Not Redundant". I
        understand his point that XP could allow "holes" in the system, but these
        would be found fairly quickly (how easily they could be filled in is another
        matter). I'm not sure about the "Not Redundant" aspect, though.

        btw, the 24 Quality Attributes come from "Identifying and Measuring Quality
        in Software Requirements Specification" by Davis, et al. in the Proceedings
        of the First International Software Metrics Symposium, 1993.

        ;ted