Re: [XP] How to name variables

  • Mike Bowler
    Message 1 of 62 , Dec 1, 2001
      > I think you're both missing one point: "scream" is what I said
      > when I vocalized what I wanted the system to do. Surely a name
      > that aligns so closely with exactly what I wanted to do at the
      > time is worth something!

      Certainly it is.

      But then you have to consider who else will have to work with your code
      and you have to consider if it will be as obvious to them as it is to
      you. In this case it clearly isn't. I wouldn't have understood what
      scream() did if you hadn't told me.

      --
      Mike Bowler
      Principal, Gargoyle Software Inc.
      Message 62 of 62 , Dec 12, 2001
        > How do you know that algorithm will converge?

        > > I have memory issues. So suppose I type the name of an
        > > object. Then I type a
        > > dot. (I can usually remember the procedure this far.) But
        > > then I need to ...
        > > "remember" ... the method name the object should call.

        The "algorithm" is a playful example. The real issue here is that
        hard-to-remember names, or hard-to-reconstruct names, are a DesignSpell.

        --
        Phlip phlip_cpp@...
        http://www.greencheese.org/PeaceAndCalm