Re: [XP] Re: Fun & productive vs. overtime kills

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2001
      Alistair:

      It is plain that you have the perfect blend of determination and
      impatience it takes to put together great products in the least time.
      That's rare.

      I (part-)owned a business while in university. We statistically modeled
      baseball and wrote reports evaluating Major League Baseball players for
      fantasy league gamers. Lots of spreadsheets, scribbling, talking,
      simulating, checking, laying out and printing. We turned a hobby into a
      money-making venture... sort of.

      I did three consecutive 70-hour weekends. We're talking 5 hours sleep
      from Thursday to Sunday in order to get stuff to the printer. I learned
      the Lotus 1-2-3 macro language inside out in an attempt to get it to lay
      out and even print reports automatically. I became a WordPerfect macro
      master, too. It was neat. But 70 hours in a weekend! It killed me.

      Don't forget that I had classes to go to during the week and schoolwork
      to do. It was also a very seasonal business: busiest in November,
      December and January; almost dead in the summer. In three months, I must
      have worked 300 hours, all outside school time. School was already a
      40-hour-a-week job.

      I gave it up after two years: at 85c/hour I wasn't getting enough return
      on my investment. I even went sour on my hobby, and haven't done that
      deep a level of modeling and analysis of baseball since then. I *used*
      to enjoy it.

      Never again. I need to do other things -- like play the piano, program
      computers, read Robert Sawyer and Arthur C. Clarke, play with my cats...

      <Shudder> Never again.

      JBR.