Re: [XP] Bridges and Software

  • Dave Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
      John Carter <john.carter@...> writes:

      > The true software anology to the over engineering scenario painted above
      > is, build system, spec more than enough CPU power, I/O bandwidth to handle
      > projected load.

      I'm not sure: I think that's being too literal.

      Engineers deal with risk by over-engineering: making things bigger
      than they need to be reduces the risk that the break.

      I think the analogous software risk is code complexity: the only we
      way we _know_ to reduce risk is to reduce the code complexity.

      Then we see the two professions starting to track each other:
      engineers stripping away stuff, s/w developers adding stuff, until
      their respective creations break under the strain.

      Regards

      Dave