RE: [XP] Re: Embedded systems ARE bridges

  • Dinwiddie, George
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 2, 2001
      kwboyer@... wrote:
      > OK, that's a good point, and embedded software can still be
      > evolved incrementally. However, this evolution has to stop
      > before the system is released when the system is safety-
      > critical. We're not talking about software used around the
      > office. The only reason to update embedded software is to
      > fix a (usually major) problem before it hurts someone or
      > something. You don't want to get embedded software 90%
      > done and send it off to production, knowing that you can
      > just update it "later". This could be catastrophic.

      No, the point isn't to get the system 90% reliable. It's
      to get 90% of the features in and have those 100% tested and
      reliable. It's to do the most important features first.
      You don't leave the safety-critical stuff to last.

      - George
    • John Carter
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 5, 2001
        On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Dinwiddie, George wrote:

        > There's two different issues here, safety-critical and ease of
        > ugrading products in the field. I would say that a digital
        > wristwatch would probably be non-safety-critical yet not field
        > upgradeable. A radiation therapy machine, OTOH, would be
        > safety-critical yet field upgradeable.

        Hmm. There is an interesting counter example. Take the browser wars as a
        prime example. I firmly predicted way back when that there would be a huge
        lag in general acceptance of the new browsers. I put browsers in the
        "wristwatch" category. Everyone has one, Joe soap doesn't care which one.
        Users simply wouldn't bother to upgrade.

        The numbers proved me wrong. Very wrong. The users upgraded from browser
        version to version as the war progressed.

        Why? The early browser were pretty grungy, but mainly because the sites
        used the new features, (at least until the new features started to become
        too tacky to be worth using...)

        Now if wristwatches started being clients of some service... (GPS timing
        signals, WAP services, local time settings......) then magically you would
        be wrong. Wristwatches would suddenly become field upgradable.

        And don't forget there isn't cosmically speaking much difference between
        the terms "field upgradable" and "disposable".

        John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
        Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
        New Zealand

        Indeed, the first noble truth of Buddhism, usually translated as
        `all life is suffering,' is more accurately rendered `life is filled
        with a sense of pervasive unsatisfactoriness.'
        -- M.D. Epstein